Grease catches fire at Back Yard Burgers
Wednesday, May 14, 2014 1:00 PM
MADISON - A build-up of grease caused a fire at the Back Yard Burgers restaurant Tuesday evening.
Madison Fire Chief Derrick Layton said crews had to climb on the roof and spray water down an exhaust tube to extinguish flames coming out of the roof.
"They were cooking burgers and had some grease that had built up," he explained. "It got heated and caught that grease on fire."
Layton said a built-in extinguisher system on the grill prevented any damage in the kitchen and the flames were contained inside the exhaust tube.
He said there were no injuries and some minimal damage to the restaurant.
"They had to replace the fan at the top and clean it up real good," he said. "They had crews in there all night long."
Fires are scarce in the city, but when they do occur, the fire department is quick to arrive and keep damage to a minimum, Layton said.
He explained they have had 3-4 fires in the last 4-5 months, but no houses have burned down. Last week they responded to a small bedroom fire caused by a lamp, in addition to a lawnmower that burst into flames.